Do you ever crave something hearty and filling, but light and nutritious at the same time? Well, that has been me for this entire quarantine. I have been craving meals that feed my soul, warm my heart, AND boost my immune system while promoting detoxification. Can you have it all in one easy dish? The answer, YES. This super simple recipe has been a quarantine staple in my house this past week, and I am so excited to share it with you.
- 1 jar of Jovial brand Cannelloni Beans or Kidney Beans OR 1.5 cups of soaked and sprouted navy beans
- 1 head of chopped Lacinato Kale
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp Himalayan Salt or ¼ tsp of Celtic sea salt
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 chopped shallot
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (or the juice of ½ lemon)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (optional) or vegetable broth if you are on an oil free/light oil diet.
- On medium heat, warm 2 tbsp avocado oil or 3 tablespoons of vegetable broth
- Sauté the chopped shallot and garlic until shallots are translucent (about 2 minutes)
- Strain the beans, but do not rinse them
- Add the beans into the pan and gently stir into the shallots and garlic
- Once the beans are warm, add the lemon juice, nutritional yeast, pepper flakes, and salt (sauté together for 1 minute)
- Add the chopped kale and cook until it is no longer raw, but not wilted. The kale should remain a vibrant green color the whole time. (2-3 minutes)
- Turn the heat off, and gently mix the baby spinach in.
- Taste Test: option to add more spice, salt, lemon, or nutritional yeast.
- Enjoy as the main course on top of cauliflower rice, or with a roasted sweet potato. It may also be paired with wild roasted salmon as a side dish.
- Option for extra “creaminess”: Turn heat off, add 2 tbsp of cold pressed olive oil, with 2 pinches of salt. Gently stir into the greens for an added layer of deliciousness.